Tuesday, January 15, 2013

German Culture - Music (Eric Osgood)

September 15th, 2013
Day 5478
Star Log 5242

It has been about 15 years since departure from my homeland, and I have still not made it back. I have found myself into a strange land of odd architecture and sounds. I believe the natives of this land call it “Germany.” Here, the music is rather pleasant. I have found a recording device - called a CD - with some of the music contained inside. Inscribed upon the device is a name - supposedly the musician. The name was Johann Strauss II, apparently a famous classical composer, with expertise in the classical, orchestral, and opera types of music.
I hope to discover more about this strange disc and its owner. I shall have a report hopefully by tomorrow.

September 19th, 2013
Day 5482
Star Log 5243

This disc is fascinating! The music on it is amazingly capacitive and appears to tell a story. Since my last log, I have conducted a bit of research on the artist using some of the native’s primitive technology - believe me, it is far behind our technological advancement. As I have learned more and more, I have become more intrigued about this music, the musician, and others like him. As for my research, here is what I have gotten at the moment of writing this:

Born on October 25th, 1825 in Vienna, Austria, Johann Strauss II is known to be the “Waltz King,” for his popular waltz pieces and performances. Although his father hoped for him to become a banker, he secretly studied the violin on his own. Throughout his career, he wrote more than 400 Waltzes and changed the Waltz from a Folk informal dance to a proper “rich man’s “ dance. He died on June 3rd, 1899, in the city of his birth.

I have also acquired an old photograph of himself that I have included within my research. I hope it will paint a picture for what he looked like.


September 21st, 2013
Day 5484
Star Log 5244

I am truly thankful for being stranded here! The music is amazing, and the people are just the same! Why, just yesterday, I attended a concert in the Dortmund Concert Hall that played music from almost every time period. I wish it could have lasted longer, but alas, it could only go on for 6 hours. I noticed that there were some pieces played from Johann Strauss II, Beethoven (a musician I stumbled upon while researching Strauss), Mozart, and more that I could not name! I am glad I attended.
Sadly, I must depart from this place, as I am starting to get strange looks from those around - and some glances from the local authorities (maybe it’s the suit?). I will be heading towards the west, into a Land I have heard be called France. I can’t wait to find what’s in store!




Beethoven                    Mozart

          

6 comments:

  1. So are you still living in Germany?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm reading an entry from Star Trek or something. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really interesting Eric! I like how you did the like journal entry thingys:p

    ReplyDelete
  4. NIce Job! Filled with a lot of information but still interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow really nice job on this, very impressive! Did you enjoy doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job, i did not know germans today still listen to classical mussic like beethoven

    ReplyDelete