Tuesday, January 15, 2013

French Food

France is so much different than the US when it comes to food. Some say, Americans eat to live, while the french live to eat. They put more time into preparing their meals, and make best with what they’ve got. The french go food shopping on a daily basis and decide what to eat based on what’s on the market. While we Americans, just shop once in awhile and stock up in our pantries. I went to one of the schools and found out that the kids have 90 minutes to eat lunch. 90 MINUTES. Seriously? That’s twice as long as we get. Then again, they are served an entree, main course, cheese, and dessert.

I’m a big fan of desserts in America, but in France, i’m a fanatic. The desserts there are so rich and sweet. While out at a restaurant, I decided I would only eat dessert. I wanted to try and little bit of everything and that would be my dinner. I started off with some Creme Caramel. It's also known as 'flan' here in America. It's a rich custard with a soft layer of caramel.



The next thing I had was Tarte Tatin aux Pommes. It is really similar to an apple pie... it's just upside down.



And lastly, I had chocolate mousse. Some people in America make this but I had never had it until my trip to France. Its really airy and puffy chocolate.


Now, on to some savory food. This isn’t exactly my favorite, because I’m a really picky eater. But I figured i’d try some things while I was in France. The French eat a lot of cheese, and one famous cheese is Brie cheese. It’s sometimes called the “king’s cheese”. 








Here are some tips on the way to eat if you ever visit France.
  • The fork is held in the left hand, while the knife is in the right.
  • Don’t start eating until the hostess says, ‘bon appetit!’
  • Don’t rest your elbows on the table, but keep your hands visible and not in your lap
  • Finish everything on your plate.
  • Follow the host, If they eat the bread with their hands, then it is okay for you to too.





8 comments:

  1. Ooooh that looks delicious. Which desert was your absolute favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate mousse! I've got a really bad sweet tooth:P

      Delete
  2. I would never remember all of those rules to the way you would eat if you visited France! Should be interesting if I ever visit France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, the rules are very informative. Never would have known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They eat a lot for lunch. Why do they use a fork with their left hand and knife with their right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a clue! But I know that I have to do the opposite because that feels awkward:p

      Delete
  5. All of that food looks really good! Do the school kids go home to eat lunch? or do they stay at school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They stay at school and eat in the cafeteria!(:

      Delete