Wednesday, January 16, 2013


Asia Merrill
The Culture in Switzerland.
Hello! So, during my trip to Switzerland I learned a lot. One thing was that are different language regions, where people speak a certain language. It was odd to  be hearing people speak German in one place and then hear people speaking Swiss in another. While I was there, I found that it was mostly men on the streets. Women there are still seen as caretakers of children and the house. The place is still a bit old-fashioned, I suppose.

As soon as I stepped off the plane, I noticed that Swiss people love art and cool architecture.The streets are lined with it, and there are museums all over (the landscape is a picture of an oil painting I took in one of them). Not just that, but the arts in general. One of Switzerland’s largest industries is film. They haven’t done anything overly huge, but they have turned out a few movies and lots of actors. Producers, too. The landscape is gorgeous, so it’s a great place to film.

Another big thing in Switzerland is soccer. They’ve even hosted the World Cup!! They’ve sent players to the olympics and won gold. In this way, Switzerland is just like the rest of Europe. It means the same to them as football is to us. They take their soccer very seriously.Except they call soccer, football... but you knew that.

Finally, there’s literature. Yes, the books come in many different languages, but it’s a big part of their culture. One of the more famous Swiss books is called Heidi. It’s about a girl raised by her grandfather in the Swiss Alps. It was written by Johanna Spyri.
Anyways, the trip was amazing, and I’m really hoping to go back someday. It’s a great place and I would highly recommend visiting.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you explained everything in detail. Have you ever read Heidi? That used to be my favorite book (and movie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You explained everything in depth really well. What other sports do they play besides soccer?

    ReplyDelete